Lamb Tagine with Chickpeas and Apricots
chickpeas soak overnight
- 3/4 c dried chickpeas
- 5 garlic cloves (2 whole, 3 chopped)
- 1 large cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lb 1" cubes lamb shoulder
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 tsp Ras-el-Hanout spice blend (see recipe)
- 1 tbsp chopped peeled ginger
- 1 c canned diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 1/2 c chicken stock
- 1/2 c halved dried apricots
- steamed couscous (add saffron)
- chopped fresh cilantro
Place chickpeas in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover by 2". Let soak overnight.
Drain chickpeas, return to same saucepan. Add 2 whole garlic cloves and cinnamon stick. Add water to cover by 2". bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until chickpeas are tender, about 45 minutes. Drain, set aside.
meanwhile heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Season lamb with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown lamb on all sides, abour 4 minutes per batch. Transfer lamb to a medium bowl.
add onion to pot, reduce heat to medium, season with salt and pepper, and saute until soft and beginning to turn golden, about 5 minutes.
add chopped garlic., Ras-el-Hanout and ginger. Stir for 1 minute.
add tomatoes and lamb with any accumulated juices. bring to a boil.
add 2 1/2 cups stock. Return to a boil, reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lamb is tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
Stir in chickpeas, simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes. Stir in apricots, simmer until heated through about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon couscous onto a large shallow platter, forming a large well in centre. Spoon tagine into centre. Sprinkle cilantro over.
You'll also love
- Shrimp Kisses 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic and Baby Arugula Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Buffalo Mashed Potatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Raspberry Sauce from a Jam 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Banana pudding - Tracy 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Pop Pulled Pork 0/5 (0 Votes)
- AMISH BEEF & NOODLES 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Thai Ground Lamb from "Fast... 0/5 (0 Votes)