Thanksgiving Rye Stuffing with Wild Rice
This traditional Thanksgiving stuffing recipe starts with rye bread and adds wild rice for a hearty (and tasty) stuffing. You can bake it in a casserole, or stuff the bird with this dressing.
- 2 loaves seeded rye bread
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 pound fresh sausage
- 8 ounces mushroom, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 fennel, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup turkey broth
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Cut bread in 1/2 inch squares and toast in oven at 350°F for 20 minutes.
In a medium size skillet, saute onions, sausage, mushrooms, celery, fennel, until tender. Add salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, fennel seeds, sage and thyme and mix well.
Add 1 cup wild rice to 2 cups of boiling water, cover with a lid and let sit to absorb.
Combine bread, sauted onion mixture and rice together with 1 1/2 sticks of melted butter, 3 beaten eggs and turkey broth.
Place in a large casserole dish and bake at 350°F for about an hour or until lightly brown on top.
You'll also love
- Mocha Decadence Pie 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Thick Sweet Teriyaki Sauce 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Zucchini, Red Beans & Rice 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Shrimp & Crab Nachos 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Geraldine Jones' Louisiana Seafood... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Peach-Mustard Pork Chops 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Gluten Free Buttermilk... 4.2/5 (21 Votes)
- Camotes Enmielado - Candied Sweet... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)