Blueberry-Lime Spelt Cake
I challenge you to try spelt flour! It has a rich, nutty taste, and it's easier for your body to digest than wheat flour. Plus, with bennies like vitamin B2, copper, protein, and fiber, it's a win-win choice. Jackpot!
- Oatmeal Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup organic rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, rinsed (if using frozen, toss with 2 tablespoons flour)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup ripe mashed banana
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Zest and juice of 1 whole lime
Preparation time 75mins
Cooking time 115mins
Adapted from prevention.com
To make the topping:
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the topping. Make sure to incorporate the butter cubes evenly into the crumble. Set aside.
To make the cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
2. In a separate small bowl, toss together the blueberries and all-purpose flour. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until well blended and creamy.
5. In a separate bowl, blend the mashed banana with the melted butter. Whisk until light and fluffy, making sure that there are no banana chunks remaining. Mix into the egg and sugar mixture, and then add the vanilla, buttermilk, and lime zest and juice. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, stirring to incorporate after each addition.
6. Gently fold in the blueberries. Fill the pan with the cake batter.
7. Spread the reserved crumble topping evenly over the cake.
8. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, approximately 1 hour 15 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and let the cake cool slightly in the pan, then remove it from the pan and finish cooling on a rack.
Nutritional Info per serving: 190 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated), 5 g protein, 2 g fiber, 14 g sugars, 202 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrates
TIP: For ease of mashing, microwave the banana and butter mixture together for about 10 to 15 seconds to make it softer and easier to whisk.
You'll also love
- Cauliflower Spanish "Rice" 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Cherry Vodka Bundt 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Heirloom tomato & avocado salad 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Blueberry Banana Overnight Oats 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Grilled Lobster Tails with... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Walnut Orange Buche de Noel 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Lime & Mint Scallops with Red Onion 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Key Lime Pie Sheet Cake 4.4/5 (25 Votes)