Stuffed Tomatoes w/Mozzarella
- 2 1/2-inch slices rustic bread, torn into small pieces (3/4 cup)
- 4 medium-size ripe tomatoes, halved
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup corn kernels (from 1 ear)
- 3 cups packed chopped greens, such as beet, Swiss chard, or spinach
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced (1/2 cup)
1.Preheat broiler with rack 8 inches from heat source. Toast bread on a rimmed baking sheet, stirring once, until crispy, about 2 minutes. Remove from oven; set aside.
2.Scoop out seeds and flesh from each tomato into a bowl; reserve. Arrange tomato halves in a broiler-safe baking dish; season with salt and pepper.
3.In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add pepper flakes and shallot; cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Increase heat to high; add reserved tomato flesh and juice. Cook, stirring, until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add corn and greens; cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
4.Fill tomato halves with vegetable mixture, dividing evenly, then sprinkle with toasted bread, drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and top with cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden in spots, about 2 minutes. Serve warm.