Roasted Quail With Southwestern Cornbread Stuffing
- 12 whole quail rinsed, and patted dry with paper towels
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 2 cups dry cornbread stuffing
- 1 cup warm chicken broth
- 1/2 cup diced Anaheim pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded, minced
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 12 strips bacon
Season quail lightly with next 3 ingredients. Combine stuffing and next 5 ingredients and lightly stuff into cavity of each quail. Spread preserves over quail and then wrap each with 1 bacon strip.
Roast in a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes or until bacon is just brown. Serve with bacon intact.
This recipe yields 4 servings.