Pheasant With Parmesan Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 pheasants each bird quartered (preferably with skin intact)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely-diced yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 3 cups fresh whole small button mushrooms stems removed
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Combine kosher salt, pepper and flour in a large plastic resealable bag. Add pheasant pieces and shake to coat evenly. Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pheasant pieces and brown evenly on all sides. Transfer browned pheasant to a plate and carefully discard oil from skillet.
Reheat skillet (less oil) over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, chicken broth and wine. Cook until onions are translucent, about five minutes. Add browned pheasant, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Remove cover and stir in heavy cream and add mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes more. Cook until pheasant pieces are done and sauce is thickened. Season sauce with additional kosher salt and pepper.
Remove pheasant pieces and arrange on plates. Stir cheese into pan until melted. Spoon mushrooms and sauce over pheasant pieces.
This recipe yields 4 servings.