Pheasant With Champagne-Grapefruit Sauce
- 8 pheasant breast halves preferably de-boned, and with skin intact
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt to taste
- Lawry's Seasoned Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup dry sparkling wine
- 1 bottle dry sparkling wine (reserve 1/4 cup for above)
- 2 tablespoons shallots minced (or white part of green onion)
- 1 lemon juice only
- 1 large grapefruit segmented, and membranes removed
- 4 tablespoons chilled butter
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Prepare sauce. In a medium saucepan, add first three sauce ingredients and reduce liquid to 1/2 cup over medium-high heat. Remove shallots. Add grapefruit segments and cook for 5 minutes. Allow mixture to cool, then transfer to a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Return to saucepan and heat sauce to warm. Just before serving, whisk in cold butter, a little at a time, until melted.
To prepare pheasant breasts, first season with salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown pheasant lightly on both sides. Add garlic and sparkling wine and sauté until breasts are just-cooked. Overcooking will make your pheasant eat like cardboard.
To serve, spoon some sauce onto plate and arrange cooked breasts on sauce. Spoon additional sauce over breasts.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
I like to leave the wing bone intact when preparing boneless pheasant breasts. I just think it looks better. The sauce can be made ahead of time, except for the butter part and then finished (the butter part) just before serving. I usually garnish the finished dish with additional grapefruit segments or grapefruit zest.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (287 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken 4.5/5 (230 Votes)
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken and... 4.5/5 (203 Votes)