Pheasant And Leek Soup
- 3 whole pheasants liberally seasoned
- with garlic salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion quartered
- 3 celery ribs each cut in two
- 8 whole garlic cloves - (to 12)
- 1 cup diced smoked bacon
- 1 gallon water
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 leeks, white part only thoroughly washed, and thinly sliced into rings
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 large red potatoes skin intact, and diced into 1/2" cubes
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cups diced fresh or canned tomatoes
Place pheasants, onions, celery and garlic in a large roasting pan. Top with diced bacon. Place in a 375 degree oven and roast for 1 hour or until pheasants are evenly browned. Remove from oven, allow to cool and pull meat from pheasant breasts. Save breast meat.
Cut carcasses into 4 smaller pieces and place in a large stockpot with roasted vegetables. Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours, stirring contents occasionally and keeping water level high enough to just cover contents. Remove pheasant pieces with tongs and pour remaining liquid through a colander to remove solids.
Return liquid to pot and add bouillon, leeks, carrots, potatoes and rosemary. Add water, if necessary, so that there is about 1 1/2 quarts liquid. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until carrots just begin to soften. Add pulled pheasant breast pieces and tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes more, remove rosemary and serve with warm sourdough bread.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.