Brown Butter Blackberry Muffins
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, browned and cooled
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
Adapted from thebakingrobot.com
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with baking cups.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine browned butter and milk. Stir in egg and egg yolk and vanilla extract. In a separate, large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in butter mixture, mixing until just combined. Gently fold in blackberries. Fill baking cups 2/3 of the way full.
In a small bowl, combine flour and turbinado sugar. Using your fingers, crumble in the cold butter until you’ve got a flaky mixture. Sprinkle this over the muffins, as much or as little as you prefer.
Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly before eating.