Fresh Corn Cornbread
- 1 1/3 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 ears corn -- kernels cut from cobs (2 1/4 cups)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter -- cut into 6 pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs -- plus one large yolk
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in large bowl.
2. Process corn kernels in blender until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Transfer puree to medium saucepan (you should have about 1 ½ cups). Cook puree over medium heat, stirring constantly, until very thick and it turns deeper yellow, 5 to 8 minutes (you should have ¾ cup cooked puree).
3. Remove pan from heat. Add 5 tablespoons butter and whisk until melted and incorporated. Add buttermilk and whisk until incorporated. Add eggs and yolk and whisk until incorporated.
4. Transfer corn mixture to bowl with cornmeal mixture, and using rubber spatula fold together until just combined.
5. Melt remaining tablespoon butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Scrape batter into pan and spread into even layer. Bake until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 23 to 28 minutes.
6. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cornbread from skillet and let cool 20 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.