Wholesome Ancient Grains Breakfast Cereal (GF)
FOR FULL NUTRITION DATA:
- 2 CUP Water
- 1/4 CUP Original Unsweetened Hemp Milk (try Tempt)
- 1/4 CUP Dry Gluten-Free Cream of Buckwheat (try Pocono )
- 1 TBS Flaxseeed Meal (try Bob's Red Mill) in 1 TBS Water
- 1 TBS Amaranth Grain soaked, drained and dried twice with cold water
- 1 TBS Blackstrap Unsulphured Molasses (try Plantation, Allied Old English )
- 1/2 TBS All Natural Unsalted Peanut Butter (try Crazy Richard's)
- 1/2 TBS Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Nutmeg
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from nutritiondata.self.com
1. Bring Water with Pinch of Salt to boil on medium-high burner.
2. Add all Cream of Buckwheat (slowly, while constantly stirring).
3. Reduce burner to medium-low and simmer almost completely covered; vent steam slightly to prevent bubbling-over.
3. As Cream of Buckwheat begins to thicken, stir-in Amaranth.. Keep simmering covered.
4. Relatively soon after, add 1:1 Flaxseed/Water Paste. Remove lid; continue to stir and simmer.
5. With cereal almost completely thickened, stir in Hemp Milk and Blackstrap. When completely mixed, stir in Peanut Butter.
6. Turn off burner. Keeping the cereal on the burner, add cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir appreciably.
7. Pour into a bowl large enough for about two cups. Let cool and set for about 2 min.
Cinnamon and Raw Sugar
Agave Syrup and Seed/Nut Medley
Ovaltine or other Cocoa Powder (if you've never heard of Ovaltine it's worth looking up. It's the healthiest chocolate mix I've found).
Fresh or Frozen Fruit
Fruit Preserves (try home-making no-added sugar preserves with white chia seeds).
I drain the oil almost all excess oil from my peanut butter jar and use the de-oiled peanut butter as an ingredient that way.
Boiling the water before adding any grains makes a fluffier hot cereal. If you want your cereal dense and sticky; add gluten free grain flakes to slightly heated water, then bring to a boil, then simmer. (I don't think this method would work well with cream of buckwheat or cream of wheat because the grains clump easily-- it would with rolled oats which are also gluten-free.
Make sure the molasses is Blackstrap which is the most nutritious product from the sugar refining process.
NUTRITION For full 2 CUP Serving:
14g Fat (22%) 57g Carbs(19%) 10g Fiber(39%) 12g Sugar(24%) 12g Protein(22%)
5% Vit A 3% Vit C 35% Calcium 37% Iron