Duck Soup II
- FOR STOCK:
- 8 duck carcasses - (to 10) (more bodies equals more flavor)
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- Pan spray as needed
- Cheap red wine as needed
- Cold water as needed
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 bouquet garni (a bunch of herbs tied together with string)
- FOR SOUP:
- 1 1/2 cups diced peeled carrot
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup diced peeled yellow oniond
- 2 cups diced cooked smoked sausage
- 3 cups whole small mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked barley
Place duck carcasses and next four ingredients in a large roasting pan. Spray contents with pan spray. Place in a preheated 400 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours, turning contents every 20 minutes until evenly browned.
Add contents of the pan to a large stock pot. Pour some wine into the roasting pan to loosen any bits stuck to the pan. Pour liquid and loosened bits into the stock pot.
Pour 2 cups of red wine into stock pot and enough water to just cover contents of the pot. Add peppercorns and bouquet garni. Simmer, uncovered over low heat for 6 to 8 hours, making sure that you keep enough liquid in the pot to just cover contents.
Cool to room temperature and pour contents through a colander covered with cheesecloth. Discard stuff in colander. Transfer liquid (stock) to a medium stock pot.
Soup: Add soup contents to stock and simmer over medium heat until carrots are just soft. Serve in bowls topped with cheese or croutons or both.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (891 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (905 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (742 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (708 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (680 Votes)
- Roasted Veal Chops with Grapes 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Veal Chops Saltimboca with Tomato... 5/5 (4 Votes)
- Henke's Hunter's Venison 4.9/5 (11 Votes)