Olympic Onion Rings
Baked Onion Rings
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- 3 Large Onions (1 3/4 lbs)sliced 1/2 inch thick and separated into rings
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- coarse salt
- 4 cups cornflakes crushed
- 1 1/2 cups fine dried breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray. Transfer the larger onion rings to a bowl of ice water; reserve the smaller rings for another use. In a second wide, shallow dish, whisk the buttermilk, remaining 1/4 cup flour , 1 tbsp coarse salt. In a third wide shallow dish mix the cornflakes and breadcrumbs.
2.Working with 1 ring at a time, remove from the water and coat in the flour, then soak in the buttermilk mixture, then coat in the breadcrumb mixture, shakingoff any excess. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets in a single layer. Spray generously with cooking spray.
3. Bake the rings for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once with a fork and rotating the pans (top to bottom) on the shelves. Serve hot