Banana Oatmeal Crumb Muffins
A great way to start the day. They're loaded with taste, texture, and fiber. Not too sweet, these muffins are perfect for breakfast with a steaming hot cup of fresh-brewed coffee.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/3 cups mashed, ripe bananas (about 2 med-large)
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt or Greek yogurt (or plain)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened slightly
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- scant 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
Set the butter for Topping out to soften in a small mixing bowl.
Grease or paper line the cups of a standard size muffin pan. Preheat oven to 375F. Coarsely mash the bananas. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the egg. Whisk in the mashed bananas, oil, yogurt, and sugar. Add the dry oats, whisking just until incorporated. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
To the small bowl with the butter, add remaining Topping ingredients, combine until crumbly with your fingers, fork, or knife. Set aside.
Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. (They don't rise a lot.) Sprinkle tops with the crumb mixture.
Bake for 20 - 24 minutes or until center tests done with a toothpick.
Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes; then remove muffins to rack to cool completely.