Zucchini-Wrapped Fish, Butternut Squash Hash, Butter Sauce
- PINOT NOIR BUTTER SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces hot Italian sausage chopped or crumbled
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 small butternut squash - (1 to 1 1/2 lbs) peeled, halved, seeds and fibers removed, and diced
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 large zucchini ends trimmed
- 8 grouper, halibut or other firm mild
- fish medallions - (3 oz ea) trimmed to
- measure each abt 1 1/2" to 2" square
- 1 large egg beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinot Noir Butter Sauce (listed below)
- Zucchini blossoms for garnish
- Chopped chives for garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely-minced shallots
- 1/2 cup pinot noir (or other dry red wine)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
- Salt to taste
In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and stir to break up into pieces. Cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the squash and cook, stirring, until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the sugar, salt, pepper, and chicken stock, and stir. Cover and cook over medium heat until the squash is tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Uncover, stir, and cook until the liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, adjust seasoning, to taste, and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Using a mandolin or other slicing machine, cut the zucchini lengthwise into long ribbons, about 1/8-inch thick. On a work surface, overlap 2 long zucchini ribbons to form a cross. In the center of the cross, place 1 halibut medallion and season lightly with salt and pepper. Brush a small amount of egg wash on each zucchini strip and fold alternately over the fish to form a tight package. Lightly salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
In a large non-stick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the fish packages, folded-side down, and sear for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the butter, turn the fish and place in the oven until cooked through and tops are golden, 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
To serve, spoon the squash hash in the center of 4 plates. Top each portion with 2 fish packages and nap with the Pinot Noir Butter Sauce. Garnish each plate with zucchini blossoms and sprinkle with chopped chives. Serve immediately.
For the Pinot Noir Butter Sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine the shallots, wine and peppercorns and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced in volume by half, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, adding each piece before the previous one has been completely incorporated. Continue until all the butter is incorporated and the sauce coats the back of a spoon, removing the pan from the heat periodically to prevent the sauce from getting too hot and breaking.
Strain into a clean container and use immediately. (Makes 1 cup)
This recipe yields 4 servings.