- 1 pound boneless venison shoulder cubed
- 8 ounces cooked ham cubed
- 8 ounces pork fat cubed
- 1/2 cup Port
- 2 tablespoons Cognac
- 2 bay leaves crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- Toast points, crackers, or large croutons as accompaniment
- Hot mustards or currant jam as accompaniment
In a large bowl, combine the venison, ham, pork fat, Port, Cognac, bay leaves, garlic, lemon and orange zests, allspice, pepper, and cayenne. Toss to coat evenly. Cover, refrigerate, and marinate for 8 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 4- by 8 1/2-inch loaf pan.
Drain the meat mixture in a colander. Discard the liquid and the bay leaves. Add the parsley and salt. Grind in a meat grinder fitted with a rough die, or pulse in batches in a food processor, leaving the meat chunky. Place in a bowl and mix in the egg whites.
Transfer to the prepared pan, tapping on the counter to evenly distribute. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place in a large roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with water to come halfway up the sides of the terrine. Bake until an instant read thermometer reads 160 degrees and the juices run yellow (not pink), 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
Remove from the oven and remove the aluminum foil. With a bulb baster, remove any excess fat on the surface. Recover with aluminum and top with the bottom of an equal-sized pan. Weight the pan with weights or large cans and refrigerate for 8 hours.
To serve, slice as desired and serve as an hors d'oeuvre or appetizer with toast points, mustard or jam.
This recipe yields 1 terrine, 10 to 12 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (805 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (702 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Ducky Bath Baby Shower Punch 4.3/5 (41 Votes)
- Veal Involtini 5/5 (0 Votes)
- Duck Soup (Mock Czarnina) 5/5 (0 Votes)