BISCUITS AND GRAVY SKILLET
- 2-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (chilled)
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- SAUSAGE GRAVY:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sage breakfast sausage (casing removed)
- 1 small onion (peeled and small diced)
- 2-1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 34 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (plus more to taste)
- 3 scallions (root ends removed, thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
TO ASSEMBLE: 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. For the biscuit: lightly flour a baking sheet and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, add flour, salt and baking soda and whisk to combine. Grate chilled butter on the large holes of a box grater into the flour mixture and fold to combine. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the buttermilk. Using a wooden spoon, stir until just combined. On a lightly floured work surface, turn out the dough and shape into a ball. Flatten slightly, remove to prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
4. For the Sausage Gravy: In a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat add olive oil. Add the sausage and cook until deep golden brown, breaking it up in to small pieces as it cooks. Sprinkle over the flour, stirring to coat. Add onions and a pinch of chili flake, stirring to combine. Continue to cook until onions soften about 5 minutes. stir the cream and chicken stock and simmer until thickened, about 0-40 minutes. If necessary, season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the scallions and parsley.
5. To assemble: Remve dough from refrigerator roll out dough into a 10-inch circle and place o tp of gravy. Brush the butter on top of the biscuits. Bake until lightly golden brown and flaky, babpit 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
TIP: Assemble the skillet and dough separately the day before and hold in the refrigerator for a hearty, stress-free breakfast the following morning!