Shrimp Coconut Soup With Ginger And Lemongrass
- STEAMED JASMINE RICE: KHAO SUOY:
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh lemongrass tough outer leaves
- 2 tablespoons thinly-sliced peeled fresh ginger
- 5 small Thai chiles stemmed, and lightly crushed
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves crushed
- 3 cups shrimp stock or fish stock
- 1 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Thai nam pla or more to taste (or Vietnamese nuoc nam [fish sauce])
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled, deveined
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups jasmine rice (other long-grain white rice can be substituted)
- 3 cups water
In the center of a 6-inch square piece of cheesecloth, place the lemongrass, ginger, chilies and lime leaves. Draw up the sides to form a pouch and tie with kitchen twine.
In a large pot, combine the stock, mushrooms, fish sauce, and sachet in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp, coconut milk, and cilantro, and simmer until the shrimp are cooked, 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat and discard the sachet. Season, to taste, with salt or additional fish sauce. Serve with jasmine rice.
For the Steamed Jasmine Rice: In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the rice and water and bring to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce the heat to low, and cook undisturbed until the water is absorbed, 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit undisturbed for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (737 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (467 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (260 Votes)