Roasted Alaskan Salmon, Apple Butter Sauce, Potato Cakes
- HERBED POTATO CAKES:
- 4 Alaskan salmon fillets - (6 oz ea)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper plus
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 Granny Smith apple peeled, cored, and cut into small dice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/4 cup hard cider
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 pound cold unsalted butter - (2 sticks) cut into pieces
- 2 Idaho potatoes - (abt 1 1/2 lbs) peeled, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- American farmed caviar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a baking sheet with the oil. Season both sides of the salmon fillets with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and place on the baking sheet. Roast until the center is still slightly pink, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
Meanwhile, to make the Granny Smith apple butter sauce, in a medium saucepan, combine the diced apples, sugar, and hard cider. Cook over medium-high heat until the apples are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the cream and cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the butter several pieces at a time, whisking constantly to blend, and removing from the heat periodically to prevent the sauce from breaking. Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon white pepper and whisk to blend. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.
Place 1 potato cake on each plate and top with a salmon fillet. Drizzle each portion with the apple butter. Top with 1/4 of the salmon and garnish with 1 teaspoon of the caviar. Serve immediately.
For the Herbed Potato Cakes: Rinse the potatoes in a large bowl of water and drain well. Transfer to a dish towel and wring dry. If necessary, wring again in a second towel. Place in a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Stir to mix well.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a medium skillet. Divide the potato mixture into fourths. Form each portion into a 4-inch round cake, about 1/2-inch thick, squeezing out the excess moisture. Place 2 cakes in the hot pan and cook until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes per side, turning several times. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel and repeat with the remaining ingredients. (Makes 4 cakes)
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Potato, Onion And Pea Champ 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Thai-Style New Zealand Green Shell... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Marinated Fish With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Country Ham With Orange Pan Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Red Snapper In A Coconut Curry... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lentils With Bulgur Wheat And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pan-Fried Quail, Country Milk... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Champagne-Poached Salmon 0/5 (0 Votes)