Pumpkin Football Cake
Score big at your next tailgate or game-day party with our irresistible pumpkin cake whoopie pies with buttercream frosting. To achieve the football shape, use an egg-shape muffin tin.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (15 ounce) pumpkin
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 42mins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Lightly grease twelve 5-ounce egg-shaped muffin cups; set aside.
In a medium bowl stir together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. In a large bowl combine eggs, pumpkin, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vegetable oil; whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, one-third at a time, stirring just until combined after each addition. Spoon a scant 1/4 cup batter into each prepared muffin cup, filling each about half full*.
Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack. Split cakes horizontally. If necessary, trim tops of cakes so they will sit flat when inverted.
For Buttercream Frosting, in a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in enough of the remaining powder sugar to reach desired consistency.
Spread frosting over one cake half; top with remaining half. Pipe "laces" on top. Repeat with remaining cakes. Makes 12 cakes.
*Use any remaining batter to make cupcakes. Line 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Fill two-thirds full with batter.
Bake in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
You'll also love
- APPLE CAKE 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Batter Up Walleye 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Reboot - Meal - Cherry Cinnamon... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Reboot - Meal - Roasted Acorn... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Asparagus & Tomato Salad with Feta 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Pumpkin Crunch Cake 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Christmas Casserole 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)