Horseradish, Cheddar, and Caramelized Onion-Stuffed Burgers
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean or higher)
- 2 Tbs. prepared white horseradish, drained of excess liquid
- 3/4 cup lightly packed shredded cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 6 medium leaves Romaine lettuce, ribs removed
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- Ketchup, optional
Heat the oil in a medium-size nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are a deep golden brown, about 20 minutes more.
In the meantime, shape the beef into 12 small patties, each about 4 inches in diameter. To make a stuffed burger, spread 1 tsp. of the horseradish on to one of the patties. Top that with 2 Tbs. of cheddar cheese and 1 Tb. of the caramelized onions. Top with another meat patty and pinch around the edges of the patties to seal the burger closed. Repeat with the remaining patties. Season the stuffed burgers on both sides with salt and black pepper.
Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Cook the burgers until the cheese is melted inside and meat is at desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium doneness.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (810 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- French Onion Soup 4.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Cheese & Onion Enchiladas with... 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- French Onion Supper Soup 4.4/5 (105 Votes)