Ragu alla Bolognese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons roasted sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce) package vegetarian "hamburger crumbles"
- 2/3 cup dry red or white wine
- 1 1/2 cups vegetarian broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh, ripe plum tomatoes, or lightly drained chopped or diced canned plum tomatoes
- 2 cups nondairy milk (can be reduced-fat), heated
- 4 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a medium-sized heavy pot, heat the oils together over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, and saute until the vegetables are soft, stirring frequently. Add the "burger" and cook for a few minutes. Add the wine and cook over high heat until it has almost evaporated. Add the broth and cook it over high heat until it reduces by at least half.
Add the tomatoes and herbs to the sauce, and cook for a few more minutes. Slowly stir in the heated milk, then reduce the heat to a mere simmer, uncover, and cook for about 2 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste.