- 1 1/8 cups cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup salad oil
- 3 Tbsp minced yellow onion
- 1/3 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons diced pimentos
- 2/3 cup whole kernel corn (frozen or fresh)
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8- x 4-inch loaf pan or 8- x 8-inch square pan and set aside. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, sugar, salt, flour, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate bowl, mix buttermilk, eggs and oil with an electric mixer. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture and stir well.
Stir in the onion, green pepper, jalapenos, pimentos and corn. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If using a square pan, check bread for doneness after 30 minutes. Serve hot.