Golden Shrimp Stew
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 1 cup chopped cored seeded red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeños with their seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups shrimp stock
- 1 cup diced new potatoes
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled, deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
In a small dish, soak the saffron in 1 tablespoon of water for 20 minutes.
In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers and jalapeños and cook stirring until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the turmeric, mustard and saffron and stir to combine. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock and potatoes and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
Lower the heat to a simmer and add the tomatoes. Cook for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Stir in the cilantro and remove from the heat.
Ladle the stew into bowls and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (809 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Garlic Shrimp 4.5/5 (182 Votes)
- Blackened Grilled Tilapia 4.5/5 (142 Votes)
- Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (140 Votes)