Florida Grouper, Orange-Mango Salsa, Crabmeat Guacamole
- 2 Florida oranges peel, pith cut away
- 1 large firm-ripe mango peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped sweet onions (such as Vidalia)
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeño
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne or more to taste
- TOMATILLO SAUCE:
- 1/2 pound tomatillos husked, cleaned, and halved
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon minced pickled jalapeño chile
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- LUMP CRABMEAT GUACAMOLE:
- 2 ripe avocados peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onions
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons margaritaville tequila
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat picked over for shells and cartilage
- 4 grouper fillets - (6 oz ea)
- Essence to taste
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- FRIED YUCCA CHIPS:
- 2 pounds fresh yucca peeled
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Essence to taste (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- Salt to taste
- ACCOMPANIMENT & GARNISH:
- 4 shots margaritaville tequila in
- salted shot glasses as accompaniment
- 4 lime wedges dipped in salt for garnish
- Minced fresh cilantro for garnish
For the Salsa: Segment the oranges over a bowl to catch the juices. Add the mango, onions, bell peppers, cilantro, jalapeño, oil, zest, ginger, salt, and cayenne. Adjust seasoning to taste. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
For the Tomatillo Sauce: Heat a large, heavy saute pan over high heat. When the pan is very hot, add the tomatillos and cook until they begin to soften and the skin begins to blister and brown. Add the onions and cook until tender. Add the chicken stock, chile, and garlic and just bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Transfer to a blender. Add the herbs, and honey and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
For the Crabmeat Guacamole: In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the crabmeat, mashing slightly to combine. Fold in the crabmeat and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the Grouper: Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat until just smoking. Season both sides of the fish fillets with Essence, salt, and pepper, patting it on with your hands. Sear the fish until browned and crisp, about 2 minutes per side, turning once. Remove from the heat.
Arrange 1 fish fillet across the center of each of 4 plates. Spoon a dollop of the orange-mango salsa to 1 side of the fish, and the crabmeat guacamole to the other side. Fan the yucca fries to the top. Place the margaritaville tequila shot below the fish with the salted lime wedge to the side. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
For the Fried Yucca Chips: In a deep saucepan, heat enough oil to come halfway up the sides to 375 to 380 degrees.
Using a mandoline or very sharp heavy knife, slice the yucca as thinly as possible.
Add the yucca in batches to the oil and cook, turning, until golden brown, 45 seconds to 1 minute. Drain on paper towels, season with Essence and salt, to taste. Serve hot.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Cheesy Garlic Grits Casserole 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Oriental Duck Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Coconut Mango Bread Pudding,... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Lebanese Fried Fish, Tarator... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Wonton Wrapped Shrimp 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Oven-Roasted Cauliflower With... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Crepes With Truffled Crabmeat... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Portobello Mushroom-Blue Cheese... 5/5 (1 Votes)