Kicked Up Pasta With Four Cheeses
- 1 pound penne, ziti, or other tubular pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces pancetta diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups grated Grana Padana or Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup crumbled Dolce Gorgonzola, Gorgonzola, or other creamy, mild blue cheese
- 3/4 cup grated fontina
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Toscana, or Percorino Romano
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Minced parsley for garnish
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Toss with the olive oil and stir to prevent from sticking.
Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, cook the pancetta until the fat is rendered and browned. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Melt the butter in the pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, until soft and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the wine, increase the heat, and stir to deglaze the pan. Cook until reduced to 1 tablespoon. Add the cream and cook until reduced slightly, about 2 minutes.
Lower the heat and add the cheeses 1 at a time, stirring after each addition. Cook, stirring, until melted and smooth. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add the pasta and toss to coat evenly. Stir in the pancetta.
Transfer to a hollowed cheese wheel or large serving bowl. Top with freshly ground black pepper and parsley. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.