Catfish Sauce Piquante Over Giant Jalapeño Corn Muffins
- 1 1/2 pounds catfish fillets cubed
- 2 teaspoons Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cups chopped seeded plum tomatoes and their juices
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups fish stock or shrimp stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Giant Jalapeño Corn Muffins (see recipe) (or steamed long-grain white rice, as accompaniment)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (green and white) plus
- extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
Season the catfish with the Essence and set aside.
Heat the oil in large heavy nonstick pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Using a heavy wooden spoon, stir in the flour. Cook, stirring, until a medium-colored roux forms, about 6 minutes.
Add the onions, onions, bell peppers, celery, garlic, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne, and bay leaves. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, Worcestershire, and pepper sauce, stir well to combine, and cook until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
Whisk in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Add the catfish and green onions, stir, and simmer until the catfish are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
To serve, split 4 corn muffins in half horizontally and place 2 halves on each of 4 large plates. Spoon the catfish and sauce piquante onto the muffins. Garnish with the green onions and parsley and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (814 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (468 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Bacon & Corn Chowder 4.5/5 (279 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (260 Votes)
- Zucchini & Sweet Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (191 Votes)