- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain or basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallions
In a medium saucepan, heat the turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon over low heat until fragrant, stirring, about 30 seconds. Add the water, salt, and butter and bring to a boil. Add the rice and stir well. Cover and reduce heat to a bare simmer. Cook, covered, without stirring until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, without stirring, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, add scallions, and serve.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.