Garlic Soup Bayona
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds onions, about 4, chopped
- 2 cups garlic cloves, about 4 large heads, chopped
- 2 quarts prepared chicken stock
- 1/2 loaf day-old French bread (about1/4 pound), cut into chunks
- 1 bouquet garni: 6 parsley stems, 9 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried) and 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- Croutons, optional
1. In a large pot, heat the oil and butter over low heat.
Add the onions and garlic.
Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and beginning to turn golden, about 30 minutes.
Raise the heat tomoderate and continue cooking the onions and garlic, uncovered,stirring frequently, until deep golden, about 10 minutes longer.
2. Add the stock, bread, bouquet garni, and salt.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer about 15 minutes.
3. Remove the bouquet garni and purée the soup in a blender or food processor.
Strain the soup back into the pot.
Add the half-and-half and pepper and bring back to a boil.
Serve topped with the croutons,