Pork Chops Stewed W Apples, Prunes, W Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- MASHED SWEET POTATOES:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 center-cut 1 1/2"-thk pork chops
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup julienned yellow onions
- 2 large golden delicious apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Calvados (or brandy)
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup quartered pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 large sweet potatoes - (abt 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 stick unsalted butter plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
In a large deep saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the chops on both sides with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to rest.
To the fat in the pan, add the onions and cook, stirring, until beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Add the apples, rosemary, and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sugar and stir. Add the Calvados and bring to a boil, stirring to deglaze the pan. Add the stock and prunes and bring to a boil. Return the chops and any accumulated juices to the pan, cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the pork and fruit are very tender and the pork reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees, about 30 minutes.
Remove the pork to a plate and cover to keep warm. Add the cream to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning, to taste. Pour any accumulated juices from the meat into the pan.
To serve, place the sweet potatoes in the middle of 4 plates and top with the chops. Spoon the sauce over the chops, garnish with parsley, and serve.
For the Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Place the potatoes on a roasting pan and roast until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Peel the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mash with a potato masher or heavy fork. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (704 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (666 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Oven-Roasted Smoked Sausage &... 4.5/5 (398 Votes)
- Crock Pot Sour Cream & Bacon... 4.5/5 (311 Votes)