Oriental Duck Salad
- 4 duck breasts skin on
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup minced basil leaves
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup brewed Hawaiian coffee
- PICKLED GINGER VINAIGRETTE:
- 3/4 ounce bonito flavored soup base (dashi)
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 12 ounces pickled ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups salad oil
- Oil for deep-frying
- 4 egg roll wrappers (sometimes called menlo)
- 6 cups spring mix greens
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
Score the top of the duck breast before marinating.
Marinade: Combine the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, 5-spice, brown sugar, chili flakes, basil, cilantro, and salt. Add the duck to the marinade and coat well.
Heat a large saute pan over high heat. Add the duck breasts and saute until golden brown on both sides and cooked to your desired temperature, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
Remove the duck from the pan and keep warm. Deglaze the pan with coffee. Add the reserved marinade and reduce to desired consistency.
In a mixing bowl, combine dashi with sugar and rice wine vinegar. Transfer mixture to a blender and add garlic, fresh ginger, pickled ginger and pinch of salt. Slowly add salad oil to the blender. Refrigerate until needed.
Have fryer heated to 360 degrees. Deep-fry the menlo until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove from the oil to a paper towel lined plate.
On a platter, place deep-fried menlo topped with spring mix. Slice duck breast and place on top of greens. Serve with chilled pickled ginger vinaigrette. Sprinkle with macadamia nuts.
This recipe yields 2 servings.