Orange Bowknots (mom)
- Orange Icing:
- 5 1/4-5 3/4 C. bread flour or use 1/2 whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 C. milk
- 1/2 C. butter
- 1/3 C. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. orange peel, finely shredded
- 1/4 C. orange juice (fresh)
- 1 C. powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. orange peel, finely shredded
- 2 tsp. orange juice (fresh)
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1. Combine 2 cups of flour and the yeast; set aside
2. Combine milk (heated), butter (soft), sugar, 1 cup of the flour and salt. Mix in eggs alternate with more flour, this mixture needs to be warm when you add the flour/yeast mixture. Add the flour and yeast.
3. Using a spoon stir in orange peel (fine), orange juice and remaining flour (approx 2 cups). Knead in mixer for 7 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic (starts to pull away from the sides).
4. Let rise in a warm place (total time to rise should be 1 hour) Put dough in a lightly greased bowl with cover on for 15 minutes, punch down, cover and leave to rise for another 15 minutes. Dough should feel active.
5. Meanwhile, lightly grease 2 baking sheets. Roll each portion of dough into a 12 by 7 inch rectangle. Cut each rectangle into twelve 7 inch strips. Tie each strip loosely in a knot. Arrange knots 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, 30 minutes.
7. Bake in a 400 ̊F oven for about 12-15 minutes or until golden. Immediately remove from baking sheets. Cool on wire racks. Drizzle with orange icing.
In a bowl combine powdered sugar, orange peel and orange juice. Add more orange juice to reach drizzling consistency.