SOUP: Roasted Garlic and Basil Tomato Soup
Great with grilled cheese sandwich or Spanish Potato omelet.
- 3 large garlic cloves, slightly flattened
- 1/2 onion chopped into seveal large chunks
- 1 TBS olove oil
- 1 14oz. can Italian style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 TBS tomato paste
- 1 1/2 chicken broth, divided
- small piece jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 TBS minced fresh basil
Place garlic and onion chunks in a pan lined with foil: drizzle with oil.
Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, stirring twice. Cool.
Process garlic, onion,tomatoes, ¾ cup broth and the next 6 ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
Cook tomato mixture and remaining ¾ cup broth in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Stir in basil, serve immediately.