Jerked Leg Of Goat
- 1 leg of kid - (abt 3 lbs) trimmed of fat and membranes
- 1 small yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 Scotch bonnet peppers - (to 3) seeded, stemmed, and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Place the goat in a large, re-sealable plastic bag.
In a blender or food processor, combine all the remaining ingredients and process to make a smooth paste. Pour into the bag with the goat, rubbing to coat evenly. Seal and refrigerate at least 6 hours, or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the goat from the bag and place in a roasting pan to come to room temperature. Roast until medium-rare, and an instant-read thermometer registers 145 to 150 degrees, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, turning once.
This recipe yields 4 servings.