Sweet Potato Salad
- 8 medium sweet potatoes (4 pounds total), peeled and cubed (about 12 cups)
- 1 cup light mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded orange peel
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1/2 cup snipped dried apricots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple tidbits (juice pack), drained
In covered Dutch oven, cook potatoes in enough boiling water to cover, about 8 to 10 minutes or just until potatoes are tender. Drain, then cool.
Meanwhile, for the dressing, in a very large bowl, combine mayonnaise, orange peel, orange juice, salt, ginger and nutmeg. Stir in celery and dried apricots. Add potatoes; toss gently to coat. Cover and chill for 8 to 24 hours.
Before serving, stir in walnuts and pineapple. Makes 16 to 20 side-dish servings.