Homemade Vanilla Wafers
- 1 cup (8 oz/250 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (4 oz/125 g) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (10 oz/315 g) all-purpose flour
Adapted from ezrapoundcake.com
1. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugar and salt. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the egg yolks and vanilla, and beat on low speed until blended. Add the flour, and mix until incorporated and a smooth dough forms.
2. Divide the dough into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a log 7 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
3. Position a rack in the middle of the oven, and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Using a sharp knife, cut each unwrapped log crosswise into slices 1/4 inch thick. Place the cookies 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
5. Bake the cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until the edges and bottoms are golden, 12-15 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.