Amish Potato Corn Chowder
- 2 pounds white potatoes, medium diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces onions, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin, seeds
- 4 celery stalks, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups 2% lowfat milk
- 1 pound frozen corn
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
1.Boil potatoes until just tender in one quart of water with bay leaf.
2.Saute onions, peppers, celery and cumin in butter until onions are transparent.
Add sage, pepper and flour to the onion mixture with some of the potato water and stir to make a paste.
3.Add the potatoes and the rest of the potato water and heat.
4.Finally, add the milk and the corn.
Heat thoroughly and garnish with parsley.