Halibut Cakes With Homemade Tartar Sauce
- HOMEMADE MAYONNAISE & TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1 pound Alaskan halibut fillets poached, flaked (abt 2 cups loosely packed)
- 1/2 cup unseasoned fine bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions green parts only
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped dill
- 1/4 cup Homemade Mayonnaise (listed below) (or store-bought mayonnaise)
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter - (to 4)
- Watercress or other greens for garnish
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Essence for garnish
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions green parts only
- 2 teaspoons drained sweet pickle relish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole or other whole-grain mustard
- 1 1/2 teas pooons minced garlic
In a large bowl, combine the halibut, bread crumbs, Essence, salt, cayenne, green onions, parsley, dill, mayonnaise, and egg. Fold with a rubber spatula, gently mixing in the halibut and bread crumbs. Shape the mixture into 4 (3/4-inch) thick patties and place on a plate. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the cakes and cook until golden, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from the heat. Garnish 4 salad plates with watercress.
Place 2 cakes on each plate and top with a dollop of tartar sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley and Essence, and serve.
Homemade Mayonnaise and Tartar Sauce:
To make the Mayonnaise, in a food processor or blender, combine the egg, lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Process on high speed for 15 seconds. With the motor running, pour the oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream and process until emulsified. Add the salt and cayenne, and pulse to blend.
To make the Tartar Sauce, transfer to a medium bowl and fold in the remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours before serving. NOTE: Both mayonnaise and tartar sauce should be used within 24 hours. (Makes about 1 1/4 cups)
This recipe yields 8 halibut cakes.