Cream of Mushroom Soup I
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (12 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms (any kind)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small bag sauerkraut (can use canned)
- cooked peas
- small pasta or dumplings
In a large saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender.
Add mushrooms and sauté until tender.
Combine flour and broth until smooth; stir into the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Stir in the cream, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring often.
To serve: everyone gets a bowl of the soup, and adds as much of the sauerkraut, peas and noodles as they like. When I first heard of this I thought it was a very strange combo,,, but its good!