Cornmeal-Crusted Scallops With Corn Relish
- CORN RELISH:
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 firm-ripe avocado peeled, seeded, and cut into small dice
- 24 sea scallops - (abt 1 lb) tough side mussels
- removed and patted dry
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 teaspoons Essence more for dusting (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil as needed
- Chopped fresh herbs for garnish
For the Corn Relish: In a medium skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the corn and cook, stirring until starting to caramelize, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper, the cumin, and coriander, and cook, stirring, until fragrant and the corn is caramelized, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
In a bowl, combine the corn and the remaining ingredients. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and let rest for 1 hour before serving.
For the Scallops: Lightly season both sides of the scallops with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the water and 2 teaspoons of the Essence. In another bowl, combine the masa harina, flour and the remaining 4 teaspoons of Essence. One at a time, dip the scallops in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off, then dredge in the masa mixture to coat evenly.
In a medium saucepan, heat enough oil to come 2 inches up the side of the pan over medium-high heat to 365 degrees. Add the scallops in batches and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain and lightly season with Essence. Divide the corn relish among 4 plates and arrange 6 scallops on top. Garnish with the chopped herbs and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Warm Spicy Butter-Poached Shrimp 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Red Snapper In A Coconut Curry... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lentils With Bulgur Wheat And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cornish Game Hens, With Orzo... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sauteed Soft-Shell Crabs With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Broiled Scallops With Honey-Lime... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cornish Hens With Fresh Figs 0/5 (0 Votes)