Scallop and Corn Chowder
- 3/4 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped leeks
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed and drained
- 1 pound bay or sea scallops, cut in half horizontally
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, optional
- Butter, optional
Combine potatoes and water in a medium bowl.
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.
Add leeks and celery; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
Add potatoes and water; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or just until tender.
Stir in half-and-half and corn.
Cover, and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Add scallops, salt, black pepper, and red pepper, if desired; cook 3 minutes.
Stir a pat of butter into each serving, if desired.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.