Tomato-Herb Bread And Olive-Ricotta Spread Tea Sandwiches
- TOMATO-HERB BREAD:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
- 3/4 cup coarsely-chopped oil-packed sun-dried
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Provolone
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- == OLIVE-RICOTTA SPREAD TEA SANDWICHES ==
- Tomato-Herb Bread (listed above)
- 1 cup fresh ricotta drained
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives
- 6 ounces baby spinach rinsed, spun dry, and stems removed
- 1/4 pound thinly-sliced capacolla
- 1/4 pound thinly-sliced bresaola
- 1/4 pound thinly-sliced salami
- 1/4 pound thinly-sliced soppresata
For the Tomato Herb Bread: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 4- by 8-inch loaf pan and set aside.
Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, sugar, and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Whisk in the tomatoes, onions, basil, parsley, oregano, and garlic. Add the cheese and stir to combine.
Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. Cut the ends from the Tomato-Herb Bread and discard or reserve for another use. Cut the remaining loaf into 16 thin slices.
For the Ricotta Herb Spread: In the bowl of a food processor, blend the ricotta, cream cheese, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper on high speed until smooth. Add the olives and pulse to blend. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
Spread the ricotta mixture evenly over 8 bread slices. Spread several spinach leaves across the filling in 1 layer. Add cold cuts. Top with remaining bread and press to seal. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally. Serve.
This recipe yields 4 to 8 servings.