- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Beat butter, oil, sugar and powdered sugar in a large bowl until well blended.
2. Mix in eggs and vanilla.
3. Sift flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt over mixture and mix it.
4. Cover the mixture and chill until firm, about 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
Preheat oven to 350.
Butter 2 cookie sheets.
5. Roll 1 tablespoon dough into a ball, place on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
6. Dip flat bottomed glass into water to moisten, then dip into sugar and press dough to 1/4 inch thick.
7. Bake cookies until brown, about 15 minutes.