Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
- 6 c peeled, cubed sweet potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 1/2 c coarsely chopped onions
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 tbl minced garlic
- 5 c vegetable of chicken broth
- 1 tbl grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp each ground cumin and salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- pinch dried cloves
- 6 tbl sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
Spray a shallow roasting pan with cooking spray. Add sweet potatoes, onion, olive oil and garlic. Mix well. Roast, uncovered, at 425 F for 35 minutes. Stir once, halfway through cooking time.
Transfer mixture to a soup pot. Add broth, gingerroot, orange zest, cumin, salt, pepper and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
Working in batches transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Serve soup hot with a swirl of sour cream in the center. Garnish with fresh cilantro.