Brazil nut and Almond Torte
- 1 cup finely ground graham crackers or other plain cookie crumbs
- 1 1/4 cup cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup Brazil nuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced almond, finely chopped
- 1 cup pitted dates, finely chopped
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate finely chopped or 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 8 egg whites
Preheat oven to 325 F. Butter a 9 inch spingform pan and line bottom with parchment paper. Sprinkle bottom with cookie crumbs. Stir sugar and baking powder together in a bowl. Add nuts and dates. Break up dates with your fingertips wo they are evenly distributed. Stir in chocolate.
In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, glossy peaks form when the whisk is lifted. Fold in nut mixture until evenly blended, Spoon into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake until firm to the touch, about 1 1/2 hours.
Unlatch pan sides and transfer cake to a plate. But into wedges to serve.
Note: store leftover cake wrapped tightly in foil or airtight container at room temperature for several weeks.