Sausage and Bean One Pot
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled, cut in half, and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 pound fresh Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound regular or reduced-fat fully cooked smoked sausage, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine (optional)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Minced fresh parsley or sliced scallions for garnish (optional)
1.Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray; add onion and garlic, and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, just until the onion is softened.
2.Remove Italian sausage from casing and add to saucepan.
Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add sliced smoked sausage and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until Italian sausage is cooked through and no pink remains.
3.Pour off drippings then stir in remaining ingredients except parsley. Mix gently then cover and reduce heat to low.
Simmer 5 minutes.
4.Uncover and cook over medium-low heat 5 to 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
Garnish with parsley or scallions, if desired, and serve.