Shrimp and Grits
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound peeled and deveined small shrimp
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 85mins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x12 inch baking dish.
Bring chicken broth and salt to a boil in a large saucepan over high 1. heat. Stir in the grits, return to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Meanwhile, melt the margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the green onions, green pepper, and garlic; cook until the peppers have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp, and cook until they begin to firm.
3. Stir the Monterey Jack cheese, 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, shrimp and vegetable mixture, canned tomatoes, and black pepper into the grits; pour into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese.
4. Bake in preheated oven until the cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown, 30 to 45 minutes.