Applesauce Healthy Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance soy buttery spread, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 8 Splendas, a sugar substitute (use real sugar for kids - 8 teaspoons or tablespoons)
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 Tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 Tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup whole rye flour
- 2 Tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sliced dates (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Sprinkle of Confectioner’s sugar (optional)
Adapted from wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, beat together the buttery spread, brown sugar and sugar until smooth.
2. Add egg whites, applesauce, cinnamon, cloves, salt and vanilla, then mix well. Add both of the flour and baking soda. Stir until blended, then add the dates, walnuts, and/or raisins, if desired.
3. Spray the Bundt pan with Pam or the like. Pour the batter into a Bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool slightly, then turn it out upside down onto a serving plate. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar if desired.