Katafi-Wrapped Shrimp, Lettuce Cups, Kicked Up Hoisin Sauce
- KICKED UP HOISIN SAUCE:
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 pound shrimp - (21/25 count) peeled, deveined, and butterflied
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Asian Spice Blend (listed below)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 8 ounces katafi (shredded phyllo pastry) defrosted, and covered with damp towel - (half 16-oz box)
- 1 large Bibb lettuce head separated into
- leaves, tough stem ends removed, washed and spun dry
- Chinese pickled vegetables chopped
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic chopped
- 1 small red Szechuan chile pepper stem removed, and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup store-bought hoisin sauce
- EMERIL'S ASIAN SPICE BLEND:
- 1 tablespoon five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
In a wok, preheat the oil to 375 degrees.
In a baking dish, toss the shrimp with the Asian spice and lime juice.
In a bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add the water, whisking until the batter is smooth and thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon. Place the shrimp in the batter and toss to coat.
Unroll the katafi, a small amount at a time, and cut into lengths the same size as the shrimp, about 4-inches. Spread the cut katafi on a work surface and cover with a damp towel to keep from drying out. One at a time, lay the shrimp on the cut katafi and roll to completely wrap inside. In batches, add to the oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
To serve, place the shrimp in the lettuce cups. Drizzle with the hoisin sauce and sprinkle with the pickled vegetables. Serve immediately.
For the Asian Spice Blend: In a small bowl, blend all the ingredients. Keep in an airtight container until ready to use.
For the Kicked Up Hoisin Sauce: Combine the vinegar, sugar, garlic and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Place the onions and celery in a food processor or blender and process on high speed until smooth. With the machine running, add the vinegar mixture in a steady stream through the feed tube. Add the hoisin sauce and process until smooth.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Pineapple Chicken Salad Lettuce... 4.6/5 (101 Votes)
- Cornish Game Hens, With Orzo... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pan-Fried Quail, Country Milk... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sauteed Soft-Shell Crabs With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fried Soft-Shell Crabs With A... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Veal Roast Stuffed With Spinach,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cheddar's Santa Fe Spinach Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Joe's Crab Shack's Stuffed Shrimp... 0/5 (0 Votes)