Slow-Cooker Spicy Brisket with Texas Caviar
The key to sealing in the flavor in this incredible brisket is to return the brisket to the cooker after turning off the heat and let the meat rest in the sauce for at least 15 minutes before serving. This dish comes together with Texas Caviar or Texas-style, slow-cooked black-eyed peas and can be served as is for a well-rounded meal or pair with all of your favorite sides during any holiday feast.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- about 2.5-pounds top brisket
- 2 tablespoons hot barbecue spice blend or Cajun spice blend, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth of your choice
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 1 1/2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- salt to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 630mins
Adapted from shine.yahoo.com
In a very large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Sprinkle the brisket all over with 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the spice blend. Add the brisket to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until well-browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the brisket to the slow cooker.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of the spice blend and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the stock and the tomatoes and their juices to the skillet and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping to release the browned bits on the bottom. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Turn the heat to low and cook for 1 hour longer.
Add the dried black-eyed peas to the cooker, there is no need to soak them first, cover and cook on low for about 10 hours or on low or for about 6 hours on high, or until the brisket and peas are tender.
Transfer the brisket to a carving board. Cover loosely with foil and rest for 15 minutes. Season the sauce with salt. Carve the brisket into 1/3 inch thick slices and using a large spatula, carefully return the brisket to the cooker. Turn off the cooker and let the brisket rest in the sauce for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour before serving.
You'll also love
- Tomato-Basil Skewers 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Lemon-Blueberry Crumb Bars 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Healthier Chicken Fried Rice 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Grilled Fried Chicken Panini 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Shrimp-and-Sausage Stew 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Spinach and Cheese Flatbread 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Panang Curry with Chicken,... 4.7/5 (10 Votes)